Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2013 16:47:20 -0500
From:      Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
To:        Melvyn Sopacua <melvyn@magemana.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, Kris Moore <kris@pcbsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Proposal for Authors / Vendors in ports

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Melvyn Sopacua <melvyn@magemana.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, Kris Moore wrote:
>

>> Wanted to run this by the ports community, see your thoughts. We build
>> our PBIs from the ports system, and are able to parse most of the
>> information out for display graphically, like descriptions, maintainers,
>> website, License, etc. However we currently don't have a way to pull the
>> actual name of the upstream vendor / author. I.E. for Firefox the vendor
>> would be "Mozilla".
>

> WWW: [Mozilla](http://www.mozilla.org/)
>
> So, markdown format in pkg-descr. Seems the least amount of work?

This adds a lot of work to the parser.

IMHO we should have VENDOR_WWW and possibly VENDOR_NAME in the port's
Makefile.  It should not be hard to automate this for VENDOR_WWW since
we already have the WWW: lines in pkg-descr.

However I wonder how much non-porting metadata we should special case.
 In particular see below:

>While I'm on the topic, how about a broader "type" for ports as well?
>Something like "gui/cli/library/data/doc/meta/foo" would be helpful to
>further categorize applications.

This has come up before.  There are two options
a) FreeBSD itself could come up with some level of categorization.  In
this case we should validate the data.

b) We can supply the ability for ports to include metadata useful for
third parties.  In this case we should not validate the data.

In the past I've argued for option B as the amount of data we could
add is endless.

Since the primary consumer would be PC-BSD or other package management
tools which would you prefer?

--
Eitan Adler