Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 17:19:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        unknown@riverstyx.net (Tani Hosokawa)
Cc:        brett@lariat.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

> > In fact, BSD UNIX in general would be far ahead, because it has been around
> > longer.
>
> I'm curious -- How long has FreeBSD existed?

FreeBSD is a direct descendent of a planned 0.5 interim release of
386BSD.  It was released as FreeBSD when Bill Jolitz denied the
use of the 386BSD trademark in order to prevent the release, and
backed out of the agreement whereby the 0.5 interim release was
being prepared.  The denial came about as a result of a firestorm
on Usenet, touched off by Lynne Jolitz.

As a derivative work of 386BSD 0.1, FreeBSD can properly be said
to have existed as long as 386BSD existed, even though the 2.x
code branch is 4.4BSD-Lite derived and contains no 386BSD code.

In other words, FreeBSD dates to 1991.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---