Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 21:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: kern/3260: FreeBSD 2.2.1 (and 2.2) npx0 boot problem on IBM Aptiva M71

The following reply was made to PR kern/3260; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To: rsm@spyder.ssw.com
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 21:41:20 -0700

 > This problem does not occur with the 2.1.7 boot floppy, i.e. that does
 > properly run "sysinstall" after autoconfig.
 >
 > Using NetBSD I was able to build custom FreeBSD kernels with which to
 > diagnose the problem.  Only when I excluded the npx0 device would the
 > kernel stop hanging the machine.  Subsequently, I discovered that the
 > boot floppy's kernel can be made to work, either by disabling the npx0
 > device in CLI mode, or setting npx0 flags to 7 in CLI mode.

 This sounds like the same broken behavior we've seen on certain
 laptops.  Apparently, the new optimized-for-Pentium bcopy code works
 great on 99.9% of the machines out there, and then there are a few on
 which it just does not.  Could you try setting the npx0 flags to
 1 and see if it still boots?  That would at least point the finger
 directly at the bcopy() code (7 turns off a number of optimized
 features, not just bcopy()).

 If you are interested in debugging this, Bruce Evans is your man
 <bde@freebsd.org> since he added the optimized code in the first
 place.  Thanks!