Date:      Thu, 29 May 1997 15:00:20 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@utell.co.uk>
To:        David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rstartd on freefall

> On Wed, May 28, 1997 at 09:39:59PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> >> So rstart is broken by design.  Let me guess.  This has been argued
> >> before, and the xfree86 guys won't allow an absolute path to rstartd
> >> (via say a flag to rstart).... :|
> >
> >I don't recall that it was ever discussed.  I've certainly never heard
> >of anyone actually using it, at least not until just now. :-)
>
> Right.  When I saw the original message, my first reaction was
> "Hey, there IS actually someone using rstart!".  It was missing from
> the last few binary dists we (XFree86) produced, and we didn't even
> get one complaint about it.  It was missing because it gets installed
> in /usr/bin by default.  From 3.3 on, it will be installed in
> /usr/X11R6/bin, and the postinst script will give people the option
> of installing a link to it in /usr/bin.

Hmmm.  It still comes out of the XFree89-contrib port (X32contrib.tgz),
although there's no rstartd - just rstartd.real.

> My next reaction was why not put /usr/X11R6/bin in the path in your
> shell's rc file?

As I said to Joerg's posting, I don't agree with this idea.  The only
place I'm really happy to do this is in my .profile (or if we had
login classes, there's good too).

> As to providing rstart with a way of running rstartd by its absolute
> path, nobody has suggested it before.  If you think that's a good thing
> to do, send us a patch implementing it (to XFree86@XFree86.org).

Ok.  How about [ -s servername ].  I'll send the patches soon.

> David

Thanks.
--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org> <brian@freebsd.org>