Date:      Thu, 24 May 2007 09:21:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Arne "Wörner" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
To:        Richard Noorlandt <lists.freebsd@gmail.com>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Growing UFS beyond 2 TB

--- Richard Noorlandt <lists.freebsd@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/5/24, Arne Wörner <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>:
> > 1. A better implementation for GPT is on its way... I think, the time
> > frame was
> > "several weeks"... It is in the archive of this list or freebsd-geom@...
>
> Will it be possible to create the tables with the current GPT tool, and
> later grow them safely with the new tool when it's available? It'll take
> some time before I need the extra TB's, so waiting a few weeks before I can
> grow the partitions and FS is no problem. As long as I can grow it without
> losing data.

Dont know...

> > 2. I wonder, why u dont just delete all GPT partitions and re-create them
> > (after u wrote down offset and size of the previous config)... :-)
> >

> Wouldn't this destroy the data that's on the partitions? The problem is that
> I have no way to backup or temporary store the data on the array. So all
> growing must be done without wiping the contents of the FS.

Dont know... I dont know how GPT works... But fdisk for example just fumbles
around in the first 63 sectors of a disk... And I would strongly guess, that
GPT does it similar...
U could try it with a little test disk... or so...

-Arne

____________________________________________________________________________________Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.