Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 2003 07:36:04 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kde3 on 300mhz / make package

--ALfTUftag+2gvp1h

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 10:54:59PM -0700, Peter wrote:
> Hello,
> 	I have a 300mhz, 128MB Ram pc standing here, and I'm thinking of
> 	installing kde3 on there, does anyone know if that will be an
> 	alright combination or would that be very slow / not worth it?
> 	I have an athlon 1800+, can I just remove my /etc/make.conf
> 	file, and do a "make package" on here to build kde3 and later
> 	install it on the 300mhz pc?  As I'm planning to do a make
> 	package for kde 3.1, is that all that's needed to make a package
> 	that could go on
> 	ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/x11 ? If so I'd
> 	like to start making some packages on this lazy 1800+.
>=20
>=20
> ---Peter---

At a computer recycling/education organization which I work/volunteer at
here in Portland, Oregon USA we give out dozens of boxes each month
running KDE/icewm, sometimes running on no more than P166/80MB, with a
max setup of P233/80MB.  The interface is acceptably fast.  Launching an
application of any size is quite slow.  If you don't have any other
choice or require KDEs services, then you'll be fine as long as you have
a little patience.

Nathan

--=20
GPG Public Key ID: 0x4250A04C
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4250A04C
http://63.105.21.156/gpg_nkinkade_4250A04C.asc

--ALfTUftag+2gvp1h

--ALfTUftag+2gvp1h--