Date:      Tue, 01 Apr 2008 02:13:27 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Scott Nicholson <atomicplayboy@socal.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound Juicer and audio CD problems after 2.22

--=-1N9FSsVWxDE9yQBeXNjw

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 22:33 -0700, Scott Nicholson wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I recently updated Gnome to 2.22, following the update instructions, =20
> and had a fairly successful run. One issue that I am having is a =20
> problem with audio CDs not mounting, giving the error dialogue:
>=20
> "Unable to mount Audio Disc    Location is not mountable".

We do not build the gvfs CDDA backend due to a version mismatch with our
libcdio (the port needs to be updated to 0.78.2 or higher).  This error
is harmless.

>=20
> As a test, I ran gnome cdplayer, which played the disc just fine. =20
> Totem did not, although I'm not sure if Totem is supposed to. I don't =20
> really mind if Gnome auto mounts audio discs, as all I do is rip them =20
> into MP3s. The only reason I mention it is that it might have =20
> something to do with the Sound Juicer problem. With the CD in the =20
> drive, I run Sound Juicer and get the error dialogue:
>=20
> "Could not read CD    Sound Juicer could not access the CD-ROM device =20
> '3,1,0' Reason: No such file or directory"

This points to a hal problem, but I cannot reproduce.  Sound-juicer (and
rhythmbox) properly access the CD, and fetch the CDDB data.  This might
also have something to do with some bad GConf data.  You might try
creating a new account, and see if this problem is seen there.  You
should also go through the media mounting question in the HAL FAQ at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html to make sure everything
there checks out.

>=20
> The application then loads, but with no tracks listed. The pass device =20
> is writable by all, as is the xpt0 and cd1, and 'camcontrol devlist' =20
> lists '3,1,0' as it's address. If I run Sound Juicer at a command =20
> prompt, passing the '-d /dev/cd1' flag, the application runs and =20
> extracts the tracks.
>=20
> The next problem I've been having with Sound Juicer (may or may not be =20
> related) is, after the tracks are ripped and encoded, I usually import =20
> a copy into my itunes library on another computer. After the update, =20
> itunes is reporting unusually long and incorrect track times for the =20
> songs that I have ripped since then. It also appears to be playing the =20
> songs slowly. I'm using the lame gstreamer plugin with VBR options =20
> enabled. As I've heard iPods have trouble with the v2.4 id3 tags that =20
> the id3mux plugin uses, I've been using the xingmux plugin to add on a =20
> header and am adding my own id3 tags using easytag. I know that's a =20
> lot of different applications which could be causing the problem, but =20
> it almost sounds to me as if xingmux isn't working correctly. XMMS =20
> seems to play the mp3s without problem, so I don't know.
>=20
> Any obvious things that I am missing? I'm using 'gnome-enable=3D"YES"' =20
> and have procfs loaded. Both dbus and hal seem to be functioning =20
> properly. Data CDs automount just fine, and even DVD movies are loaded =20
> and played without issue on this same drive.

You might try using a different set of gstreamer plug-ins to try and
isolate the extraction problem.  I haven't seen any issues with
extraction, but I leave everything the default as I only extract CD
audio to ogg for playing in rhythmbox.

Joe

--=20

--=-1N9FSsVWxDE9yQBeXNjw