Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 2009 15:19:17 +0100
From:      Johannes Scholz <lgoodboi@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   processes hanging in _umtx_op #2

Today i have upgraded python to 2.5.4 and all of the sudden most of my
python processes seem to hang. I have managed to track down the
problem to the MySQLdb module. A simple python -c "import MySQLdb"
seemed to hang forever and i could only terminate it with kill -9.

A similar problem seems to be documented in http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2008-October/183675.html

After reinstalling mysq51-client and py-MySQLdb everything went back
to normal. Before doing so i ran ktrace on python -c "import MySQLdb".
The result can be found on http://dpaste.com/121672/.

Im just reporting this because i am not sure whether this is a library
problem or an issue with freebsd.

uname -a:

FreeBSD somehost.fr 7.1-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE-p2 #4: Tue Feb
3 15:41:02 CET 2009     root@somehost.fr:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/IPEYES
i386

options     SCHED_4BSD      # 4BSD scheduler

Johannes Scholz