Date:      Mon, 07 Dec 1998 22:17:04 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, FreeBSD-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IBM Java Compiler

At 07:11 PM 12/7/98 -0800, Jason C. Wells wrote:
>In case anyone doesn't read slashdot, IBM released it's source for it's
>Jikes compiler. I don't know jack err java but this sounds like a cool
>deal.
>
>This is entry number two for IBM into the Open Source foray. They have
>adopted Apache and now have released a previously proprietary piece of
>software.
>
>Wouldn't it be poetic if free software along with supportive companies
>like IBM dethrone MS. :)
>
>This smells like a win for free software. Big Blue has not only endorsed
>free software by using Apache but it gave a big chunk back in this
>compiler. Is this as big a deal as I think it is?
>
>Does the availability of this software help FreeBSD java efforts?

I gotta say, this is definitely a good plus for the OSS cause.  I think you'll find that since OS/2 flops pretty hard because of the whole Microsoft thing, that maybe this is a new lead by IBM.  I don't see them releasing the source of AIX or anything, but this is above the call of duty certainly.

Didn't know they hold tabs on Apache though.  I will say on a personal note that my Apache server (Running 19 vservs on a PII-333 FreeBSD box) flies by comparison of the NT 4 Workstation that was running comparable software.  Now our web-mail frontend is handled by the FreeBSD box, and just the Netscape Directory Server and Messaging Server crapola is handled by the NT Workstation.. I look at that NT machine though and just have to say "What a waste of a 128mb PII-333"...

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D