Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 1996 08:27:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Walton <dwalton@psiint.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca, Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>, Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>, asami@freefall.freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/editors/bpatch/pkg COMMENT

On Fri, 22 Mar 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > 	But then there are also those really tricky ones like "hotel"
> > which can be "a hotel" one day, and "an hotel" the next!
>
> Huh.  I've only ever seen "a hotel" myself!  Perhaps the sign-painter
> outside of yours never went to school. :-)

As with words starting with "u", this depends on how you pronounce the
first letter of the word.  Or, in this case, WHETHER you pronounce it.
Thus, you use "a hotel" or "an 'otel", depending on your local dialect.

Dave

David Walton                                     Unix Programmer
PSI INTERNATIONAL, Inc.                          email: dwalton@psiint.com
190 South Orchard #C200                          Fax  :(707)451-6484
Vacaville, CA 95688                              Phone:(707)451-3503