Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 1996 11:08:49 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The -stable problem: my view

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Nate Williams wrote:

> Yes, but only if the developer isn't paying attention.  This has
> happened less times than I can count on two hands.  Considering that
> we're probably approaching hundreds of thousands of commits since we've
> started, I'd say we're doing pretty well and that nothing needs to
> change as far as that part of commit process goes.

I started supping current 2 weeks ago and during this time I saw
configuration mistakes go into the tree.  I can understand programming
bugs, but a mistakes in configuration management that prevent successful
builds are a little annoying.  How many people does this affect these
days?

Terry proposes a set of tools to help enforce the policy of always having
a buildable tree.  Would this make the commit process too cumbersome?

-mh