Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 20:32:48 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Alexander Frolkin <alexander@frolkin.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, stable@freebsd.org, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: portmap strangeness

> > > I've done that, and I get the addresses of all the interfaces which are 'up'
> > > listed correctly, however portmap only works when lp0 is also up. (This is
> > > the first interface in ifconfig -a, if that makes a difference). from_local
> > > shows the address of lp0, when it is up, as 0.0.0.0, which is correct since
> > > the address isn't set because I'm not using the interface at the moment.
> >
> > Well, I think the next step(s) are to ensure that portmap is
> > LISTENing to *.111 and then to use tcpdump to see what address the
> > nfs stuff is coming from - without lp0 being IFF_UP.
>
> With lp0 down, netstat shows that portmap is listening on *.111, but there
> is no RPC traffic in tcpdump -ilo0 when I run mountd and nfsd.
>
> With lp0 up, netstat shows the same, but there is some sunrpc traffic on
> lo0, when the services register.
>

> Also, I've noticed that if the system boots with lp0 down I can bring lp0 up
> and then down again, and the services will register (this is without
> restarting portmap).

So it looks like a problem with the rpc library ?  Have you got ``::1
localhost'' in /etc/hosts ?  If so, try removing it to see if the
problem is that portmap isn't ip6 aware.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>