Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 09:27:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@Thanatos.Shenton.Org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports/9114: XF86-3.3.3 port has not support for NeoMagic in SVGA server

>Number:         9114
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       XF86-3.3.3 port has not support for NeoMagic in SVGA server
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE i386
>Environment:

2.2.8-STABLE and ports collection cvsupped from cvsup2.freebsd.org
1998/12/17 11:00 EST.  OS and kernel built with make world without
incident. Port XF86 built 3.3.3 without incident.

Build of /usr/ports/x11/XFree86 succeeds but SVGA server does not have
support for neoMagic chipset, a very popular driver in laptops.
Recommend changing config to include this and all other drivers in new
3.3.3 SVGA server.

This omission is not documented (in an obvious place, to me) and
caused me quite a bit of lost time as I tried to configure XF86Config.
It *is* built in to SVGA server from xfree86.org and listed as one of
the main new features in their release notes.

>How-To-Repeat:

cd /usr/ports/x11/XF86
make
make install

Then run the X configurator and it will fail when trying to invoke the
new server settings with huge (low rez) bitmap. Turns out it's a
320x??? raster, a default since NeoMagic support really isn't compiled
in.  A careful reading of the diagnostic output when X starts shows no
"NM2160" or other neomagic chipset but this is not obvious.

>Fix:

Configure the X build to include driver support for the NeoMagic
chipset.  I don't know where this is done yet -- I haven't found it in
the copious source code yet.