Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:05:57 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
To:        marcd@internode.on.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slight OT samba problem

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 08:50:45PM +0930, marcd@internode.on.net wrote:

> Hi
>
> I know it's something that might be better on a Samba list but I have
> a little problem with Samba on a FreeBSD 4.0.
>
> The system is running Samba 2.0.7 and also acting as and internet
> gateway using demand ppp.
>
> For some reason the system keeps dialing up a net connecition when
> it's not supposed.  I believe the problem is with nmb.

You need to use filters in your ppp configuration file. See
/usr/share/examples/ppp/ppp.conf.sample and man ppp(8).

Specifically you want to have:

 set filter alive 0 deny udp src eq 137
 set filter alive 1 deny udp src eq 138
 set filter alive 2 deny udp src eq 139
 set filter alive 3 deny udp dst eq 137
 set filter alive 4 deny udp dst eq 138
 set filter alive 5 deny udp dst eq 139
 set filter alive 6 permit 0/0 0/0

 set filter dial 0 deny udp src eq 137
 set filter dial 1 deny udp src eq 138
 set filter dial 2 deny udp src eq 139
 set filter dial 3 deny udp dst eq 137
 set filter dial 4 deny udp dst eq 138
 set filter dial 5 deny udp dst eq 139
 set filter dial 6 permit 0 0

You may want to add others but these are the ones that affect samba.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252