Date:      Mon, 04 Dec 2006 19:38:00 +0100
From:      Remko Lodder <remko@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/70525: [boot] boot0cfg: -o packet not effective

Brian Candler wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR i386/70525; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
> To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, hampi@rootshell.be
> Subject: Re: i386/70525: [boot] boot0cfg: -o packet not effective
> Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 11:24:40 +0000
>
>  I see a related problem with FreeBSD-6.1: an initial install seems to set
>  the MBR with -o nopacket, but explicitly doing "boot0cfg -Bv ad0" correctly
>  sets -o packet in the MBR.
>
>  I have not observed this directly in the MBR, but is based on the following
>  sequence:
>
>  - divide a 40GB HD into two primary partitions
>  - install FreeBSD in the first 20GB, with its bootloader in the MBR
>  - install OpenBSD in the second 20GB
>  - the FreeBSD bootloader then offers
>
>    F1 FreeBSD
>    F2 BSD
>
>    but F2 just beeps (i.e. cannot boot OpenBSD)
>
>  - booting into FreeBSD and issuing "boot0cfg -Bv ad0" fixes the problem.
>
>  Therefore my guess is that the initial installation of the MBR is setting -o
>  nopacket, even though boot0cfg has -o packet as its default.
>
>  Also reported at
>  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-i386/2006-December/004892.html
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Brian.

Let's theorise here: can't this be,  because of the bootloader
of freebsd is unable to detect any openbsd installation on the
second partition simply because it isn't there yet? afterwards
this can be found, resulting in the behaviour...

did i miss something or am i incorrect??

Cheers,
remko

--
Kind regards,