Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 19:04:11 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Thomas Widlundh" <tw@ettnet.se>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Oelbaum, Ralph X." <RXO4201@pharmerica.com>
Subject:   Re: xwindows

On Wed, 19 May 1999 12:41:49 -0400, Oelbaum, Ralph X. wrote:

>I have just installed 3.x of freebsd and I am trying to set up xwindows.
>I added all the xfree86 packages but when I want to change to fvwm95 or
>any other desktop I can't seem to do so. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Ralph,
I did this the other day.
It seems X is preloaded with a wm (WindowManager) that is called twm.
You have to install fvwm or fvwm95 to get it to work.
I installed AfterStep and that was easy.
From a console-prompt type (as root):
/stand/sysinstall
then choose Configure etc
The /cdrom should NOT be mounted. If I mount /cdrom first, I'll get
an error that the CD couldn't be found!
This is of course if You've got the CD-ROM.
Otherwise You have to choose another source in /stand/sysinstall like
some ftp or so....
Good Luck!
Thomas