Date:      Mon, 07 Aug 2000 21:28:08 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fjrm@yahoo.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Francisco Reyes <fjrm@yahoo.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: www.tucows.com messed up with BSD link

At 05:45 PM 8/7/2000, Francisco Reyes wrote:

>The one thing I have never understood is how can a company
>so poorly manage have so many good products.
>
>Also I was very surprised to read that one of the the lead
>architects at MS working on C# was one of the lead
>architects for Turbo Pascal and Delphi. I am sure MS
>offered real big bucks, but for Borland to not have tried
>to create an environment (money, stocks, whatever...) for
>this person to stay is sad..
>
>Or perhaps this person just got tired of working for a
>bunch of looser managers/business people.

I think it was some of each. The person in question was
Anders Hejlsberg, whose Poly Pascal compiler and IDE for
the Z80 became Turbo Pascal when Philippe Kahn marketed
it in the US. (Contrary to what some magazines have
printed, it was Anders -- not Philippe -- who wrote
Turbo Pascal.) Anders worked on the compiler for years
in his native Denmark and eventually came to the US to
work at Borland's headquarters in Scotts Valley. But
the company botched its strategy badly, throwing all
of its support behind Windows and thereby putting its
fate into Microsoft's hands. (Borland didn't realize,
though I told their executives repeatedly, that ports
of its development tools could empower alternative
platforms and give them a real shot at rivaling
Microsoft's platforms.) Borland also made bad moves
such as the acquisition of Mark of the Unicorn's
Final Word (a Gosling EMACS derivative) and of
Ashton-Tate.

All along, Microsoft preyed on Borland in many ways.
It hired away Borland's sharpest employees --
including Brad Silverberg, who doubtless helped them
understand how best to hurt Borland once he arrived.
It withheld technical documentation and licenses
unless Borland dropped potentially competing standards,
such as the portable OWL (Object Windows Library).
It used a "vaporware" strategy to kill the market for
Turbo BASIC (now PowerBasic). In short, it used
every trick in the book -- many of them probably not
legal -- to damage Borland.

In the meantime, Anders continued to work on
compilers and fell in love with object-oriented
programming. His object-oriented Pascal dialects
were full of bells and whistles, and were
very powerful; alas, they were also so complex --
more complex than C++! -- that few ever mastered
all of their features. When Java came out, Anders
wanted to add similar features to Java, but many
in the Java community didn't think that the added
complexity was worth it.

After working for Borland for more than a decade,
Hejlsberg found that his stock in the company wasn't
worth all that much; it had been crippled by bad
strategic decisions and predation by Microsoft. So,
when Microsoft offered him a 6-figure bonus plus
a chance to extend Java the way he wanted, Hejlsberg
jumped ship. His first project was Microsoft's
J++ compiler, complete with incompatible extensions.
This project has now become C#.

It was sad that Hejlsberg decided to go this route
rather than working for a promising startup that could
give Microsoft a run for its money. As a fan of Borland's
technology (though not its boneheaded management), I
would much rather have seen Hejlsberg do a leveraged
buyout of Borland's language technology and make it
successful. But, alas, he sold out for a rather large
mess of pottage and a chance to wield some of
Microsoft's clout. Personally, I couldn't have lived
with myself if I'd done that, but then, I am not Anders.

--Brett Glass