Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:48:08 -0400
From:      Jerry A! <jerry@thehutt.org>
To:        rob <rob@pythonemproject.com>
Cc:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>, sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA tags bug fix committed to -releng4/ Now SCSI emulation

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 07:22:36AM -0700, rob wrote:
: Dave Hayes wrote:
: >
: > My question would be: why don't we have an interface to the more
: > robust SCSI emulation layer of these devices? I recognize there is
: > loss of speed to be endured, but the upside is that we could use
: > a lot more drives on FreeBSD.
: > </relatedtangent>
: > ------
: partition, and enjoyed the ability to use its built in scsi emulation.
: There was no loss of speed that I could discern.  I believe all CDROM
: devices are inherently SCSI, its just the I/O and pinout that changes.
: Please correct me if am wrong.  Burncd has worked for me, but it rules
: out most of the gui based burner programs.  Rob.

Take a look at ATAPICAM <http://www.cuivre.fr.eu.org/~thomas/atapicam/>.
These patches accomplish what you're looking for.

I've cc'd Soren in the hopes that he may be able to shed some light on
if/when this functionality may be merged into the existing ATA
framework.

        --Jerry

Open-Source software isn't a matter of life or death...
...It's much more important than that!