Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 16:06:28 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Feature-rich GUI mail client

Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com> types:
> Introducing my parents to *nix, but can't seem to find any feature-rich mail
> clients for X.
> I haven't used X-windows much at all, so am fairly unfamiliar with the
> software available. Are there any such programs that have Outlook-like
> features such as e-mail address auto-complete? Kmail doesn't cut it, and
> being non computer techie people, they aren't interested in using any
> console programs at all.

VM in Xemacs. It has e-mail address auto-complete, along with a slew
of other features. You can't get the graphical buttons in stock emacs.

> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated--even any statements saying
> that no such program exists so that I can stop looking.

The one thing I've noticed is that most Unix mailers don't seem to
have automatic filing and the like. VM can be made to do it, but it's
ugly. The reason for this is that Unix systems usually provide
procmail or a similar mechanism that does this externally.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.