Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 03:23:49 +0100
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        Michael Wells <michael-wells@swampwolf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Failure

Michael Wells wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am getting a bunch of link errors when I try
>and rebuild my kernel.  I just did cvsup and a
>make build/install world and was trying to rebuild the kernel
>as suggested.  I didn't make any changes to
>the kernel but it started complaining about things
>it never had before.  It was complaining about devices
>that didn't exist on my system (raid stuff) so I removed
>them.  The build seems to go fine until link time.
>I am attaching the link part of the output.  If any
>one has ideas I would appreciate your input greatly!

This kind of problem is exactly why it is generally recommened that you
buildworld and buildkernel before installkernel-ing and installworld-ing
and finally mergemaster. It sound like your system is currently running
a mismatched kernel and world? This is often the cause of problems. My
preferred order is

make buildworld
make buildkernel
make installkernel
reboot into single-user (ensure new kernel boots correctly)
make installworld
mergemaster
reboot

Anyway, with reguard to your spacific problem - you don't tell us what
version of FreeBSD you cvsuped to? If it is a development branch
(-current or -stable) then those lists are likely to have the best
people to answer your question. If it is a -RELEASE then you clearly
have something else going on....

Andrew.