Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 22:30:37 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stream.c worst-case kernel paths

At 10:21 PM 1/20/2000 , Matthew Dillon wrote:

>    I think it's a bad idea to make anything that breaks the protocol
>     standard the default.

I see your point. But isn't it really the protocol standard that's
broken? It might be worthwhile to set a de facto standard as part
of the process of moving for change in the formal one. (Extensions and
changes to IETF standards frequently happen this way.) If people at
the IETF meetings say, "FreeBSD now handles this situation this way, and
it's MUCH more robust," it'll be a strong selling point in favor of
a follow-on RFC. This has worked for e-mail standards, which Heaven
knows are STILL in need of enhancement.

--Brett Glass