Date:      Thu, 02 Sep 1999 08:01:24 -0600
From:      Matt Meola <mmeola@uswest.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why? (Was: Re: FreeBSD, the follower of Linux ?)

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999 17:12:56 -0500  "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>  said:

> Aristotle did this to forward a personal agenda and complete the burial
> of the Sophists.

!!

> However, we stray from the necessary flameage, so for the sake of
> completeness, 'Your mother was a hamster...'

'...And your father smelt of elderberries!'

I love that movie...

BTW, I tend to agree with Jay Nelson, in his original post.  Rabid
evangelism of FreeBSD is ultimately harmful, from my view.

FreeBSD is a rock, and while Linux is solid also, FreeBSD is better.
Better with upgrades (not only cvsup, but ctm, too), better with ports
and packages, and, for one, *very* much better with support.

Linux is good.  I like Linux.  But I like FreeBSD better.  Moreover,
FreeBSD's quality is reflected in the quality of its support -- these
mailing lists, perhaps with the exception of -chat, are far and away
better than usenet for support.  No flames, just the facts.  -questions
is by far a better resource than all of Usenet combined.

This quality, both in code and in support, comes from the quality of
character of the people involved.  To specifically target the masses
for wholescale conversion to FreeBSD is to degrade the overall quality
of the userbase.  To do so, one ought to also distribute flame-retardant
clothing.

Now, we surely don't want to push people away; I do not mean to
advocate a position of elitism.  However, I can confidantly recommend
FreeBSD for use, fully evangelizing not only its qualities, but also
the qualities of the user community.  To invite someone to use FreeBSD
is to invite them into our family, to invite them into an environment
where they will "grow", both technically and emotionally, to grow into
their own role as, someday, a mentor.

Linux suffers from the tyranny of the majority -- it is seen as a solid
product foisted upon the world by a bunch of arrogant, pimple-faced
kids.  Let's just make FreeBSD what it can be, and let it sell itself.

--
Matt Meola                                     Bailey, Colorado
Amateur Radio Operator - KC0DXW                http://www.qsl.net/kc0dxw