Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:40:00 +0300
From:      Mike Makonnen <mtm@FreeBSD.Org>
To:        bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, jeremie@le-hen.org
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   Re: conf/116416: [patch] per-jail rc.conf(5) style configuration file in /etc/jail/

Hi,

I like this patch, especially the second revision. I think people who
run a very large number of jails will appreciate it. However, I'd like
to see a few changes made:

1. Rename /etc/jail to /etc/jail.d
2. The jails_confdir knob should be sourced from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
   so the sysadmin can change it if necessary.
3. Instead of simply populating jail_list from the directory if it's
   empty I'd like to see it cascade through the following logic:
	If jail_enable=no
		do nothing (current behaviour)
	else if jail_enable=yes
		process jails defined in jail_list (current behaviour)
	else if jail_enable=auto
		if jail_list is NOT empty
			process ONLY the jails listed in it
		else
			automatically populate jail_list from /etc/jail.d/

   This will give maximum flexibility and choice to the sysadmin.
   Your patch is essentially the same, however I would like to see the
   behaviour controlled by the jail_enable knob than have the script
   determine for itselft what it's going to do. For example, your patch,
   as it currently stands, would break a setup where the sysadmin had
   enabled jails but intentionally left jail_list empty in order *not* to
   start any jails.

Cheers.
--
Mike Makonnen         | GPG-KEY: http://people.freebsd.org/~mtm/mtm.asc