Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2000 08:23:04 +1000
From:      Phil Homewood <pdh@bit.net.au>
To:        Dave Edmondson <david@jlc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcm driver

Dave Edmondson wrote:
> I finally got a Sound Blaster 16 non-PnP model working. Both pcm and sbc
> had to be in the old ISA:
>
> pcm0		at isa? ...
> sbc0		at isa? ...
>
> ...format. After remaking sbc0, it seemed to work fine.

Mine "works" with just "device pcm" and "device sbc", in the same
way that it "works" using the old "at isa?" syntax. However I have
a weird problem - an attempt to play any given track will fail
about 10% of the time, all I get is static from the speakers.
Restarting the play generally works.

It sounds to me like maybe something isn't being reset properly
before the device is opened. Has anyone seen this behaviour, or
is there anything anyone can suggest for tracking this down?

I've tried swapping the card, and the symptoms persist. This is
under 4.1-STABLE, cvsupped yesterday, and has been happening since
4.0-STABLE as of at least May (when I first installed this box.)

pdh@minotaur:~% dmesg | egrep 'sb|pcm'
sbc0: <Creative ViBRA16X> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b irq 5 drq 1,3 on isa0
sbc0: setting card to irq 5, drq 1, 3
pcm0: <SB DSP 4.16 (ViBRA16X)> on sbc0
pdh@minotaur:~% cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Sep 26 2000 07:43:54
Installed devices:
pcm0: <SB DSP 4.16 (ViBRA16X)> at io 0x220 irq 5 drq 1:3 (1p/1r channels duplex)
pdh@minotaur:~%

Also, I've just noticed that the volume control in xmms has just
ceased to have any effect, hmm...
--
Phil Homewood                 pdh@asiaonline.net
Senior Technician             +61 7 3620 1930