Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 20:51:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Freebsd-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 2.1.6 -> 2.1.7 & No bin distribution

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, Doug White wrote:

> > > That's the first time I've seen that from a CD install.  What method did
> > > you use to upgrade?  Which option(s) did you select?
> > >

> > 'dd if=boot.flp of=/dev/rfd0 bs=36b' got the boot.flp image onto the
> > floppy. With the CD #1 disk already in the Plextor scsi cd drive, I
> > rebooted the system with the boot.flp disk.
>
> OK, I'm beginning to understand.  I've never used the bs option when using
> dd to make boot floppies though.
>
> Is your CD SCSI or ATAPI?  Your CD may not have been detedcted during
> setup.  After getting the main menu hit scroll lock and scroll up and see
> if you can find the CD probe message.

It's a scsi cd connected to a 1542cf. I installed 2.1.6 from scratch
with it. So I'm fairly sure it gets recognized. Below is the last
dmesg, from March 22nd. The Install cd was still in the drive after
the third upgrade:

: aha0 at 0x330-0x333 irq 11 drq 5 on isa
: aha0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
: (aha0:3:0): "PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-6XCS 2.05" type 5 removable SCSI 2
: cd0(aha0:3:0): CD-ROM cd present.[262254 x 2048 byte records]

I may try the upgrade again this weekend, with a closer attention
to note taking. I backed up everything to tape anyway.

Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com

  FreeBSD   2.1.7-R