Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 17:28:54 +0200
From:      Hanno Liem <freebsd@dark4ce.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Hanno Liem <freebsd@dark4ce.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: To jail or not to jail, that is the question

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 01:47:51AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 09:47:26AM +0200, Hanno Liem wrote:
>
> > On the other hand I wonder if it complicates the system administration of
> > the box... furthermore I just read an article on Daemonnews about security
> > vulnerabilities in jail (albeit they do not seem that easy to exploit).
>
> What security vulnerabilities in jail?  As far as I know there aren't
> any.
>
> Kris

Sorry, I may have misread the article.

I only glanced at it, to read it in detail later. I was pointed in the
direction by the following sentence:

> 2.1 Understanding the Vulnerability
> 4.4BSD procfs implementation has been broken since the beginning, but the
> final blow came from jail(2). The buffer overflow happens when a jail has
> been setup with a long hostname (up to 255 bytes) or huge gids are used, and
> a program's status is read through procfs.

I took a printout of the article with me on a trip to the UK, and had some
time to read it in detail. I realise that it is quite old (>6 months) and
could very well be outdated.

Hope I didn't step on any toes :-}

Han