Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 18:56:53 EDT
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   JDK1.2.2

Hi:
I have some questions about Java under FreeBSD.

I have a project that I would like to use Java for.  I would like to use the
latest version: 1.2.2, but I am a bit reluctant to use software that is
termed "Pre-Alpha."  Can anyone comment on the stability of the pre-alpha
jdk, especially since the blackdown port is available as a reference (or
bootstrap) - is FreeBSD's "pre-alpha" as stable as Blackdown's current
version?

I am running FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE.  Mr. Koster's web pages state that the
pre-alpha is does not build cleanly on 4.0 systems.  Is this still the case?

What advantages/disadvantages are there to using a native Java over the
blackdown Java running under Linux emulation?  Most of the Java ports
require JDK1.1.8, how difficult/possible is it to use those ports with 1)
"native" 1.2.2, 2) linux-based blackdown 1.2.2?

Sun's Forte IDE is now available ("Free") under Sun's community license -
are there any plans to port this?  Also, I understand that someone has IBM's
visualage for Java working under FreeBSD - could that be made into a port?

There seem to be many difficulties working with Sun.  Even the Blackdown
people have had difficulties (as described on their website).  This may not
be nefarious - it may just be a matter of scarce resources.  But it seems
that the more that we can show a need for Sun's attention, the better.  As
such, is it possible to get support from Apple, since OSX users may benefit
from a Java port?

John