Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 05:08:22 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Charlie Watts <cewatts@frontier.net>
Cc:        Paul <tribble@tribble.net>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Benchmarks from SysAdmin mag

Charlie Watts <cewatts@frontier.net> types:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Paul wrote:
>
> > Hi all... it appears that after so many FreeBSD users (including
> > myself) sent sysadmin magazine messages regarding the benchmark article
> > previously discussed in this thread, they've posted a follow-up.  They
> > sent me an email directly in respond to my message, giving me the new URL.
> >
> > So, everyone interested check out:
> > http://www.sysadminmag.com/articles/2001/0108/0108q/0108q.htm
>
> They claim to have both done:
>
>  tunefs -n enable /
>  tunefs -n enable /usr
>  tunefs -n enable /var
>
> And:
>  in /etc/fstab
> Add to options for all hard disk file systems ",async":
>
> Given this, which takes precedence? Or am I mis-understanding?

Since no one answered, and this is relevant to running a -stable
system, I'll quote the source:

		/*
		 * Soft updates is incompatible with "async",
		 * so if we are doing softupdates stop the user
		 * from setting the async flag in an update.
		 * Softdep_mount() clears it in an initial mount
		 * or ro->rw remount.
		 */
		if (mp->mnt_flag & MNT_SOFTDEP) {
			mp->mnt_flag &= ~MNT_ASYNC;
		}

So their test used softupdates, but no async. Someone might want to
point that out to them.

	<mike