Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 18:29:14 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: French, Flemish and English (was: cvs commit: src/sys/alpha/alpha clock.c)

On Wednesday, 22 May 2002 at  9:28:38 +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 11:28 AM +0930 2002/05/22, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
>> That presupposes that pronunciation of words is a function of the
>> language spoken.  For words which don't belong to the language, this
>> doesn't make any sense.
>
> 	I disagree.  So long as the word appears to be pronounceable in a
> particular language, then I believe that most people who speak that
> language will probably try to pronounce it according to the customs
> of their native language.

Assuming they recognize the word or its derivation.

> The only exception to this rule would be if they happen to speak
> the language from which the word comes and recognize it, or if they
> have otherwise obtained information to lead them to believe that
> this particular word should be pronounced according to "foreign"
> rules.

Well, that's one common exception.  It's certainly not the only one.

> 	There is a Japanese word for thank you.  How do you think that
> it is properly spelled using what they call "romaji", and how is it
> pronounced?

I don't know.  But if you can't read or write, and you hear the word
from a native speaker, how do you pronounce it?

>> I find this surprising.  This must be something to do with the French
>> Belgians.  In France, women don't get the name of their husband.  Yes,
>> they're allowed to use it, and almost invariably do, but you'll notice
>> the difference between "Helen Smith née Jones" and "Yvonne Belmont
>> épouse Dupont".  My wife is French, and we got married in Germany,
>> where they have a book of rules.  Their book of rules stated that my
>> wife was not allowed to take my name, and no proof we could give them
>> would convince them of the contrary.  After something like 11 years of
>> marriage they finally found a solution, but by that time we were
>> leaving anyway.
>
> 	We got married in the US, precisely to avoid this kind of
> crap.

That wouldn't (theoretically) have helped you.

> Frankly, we have no idea what the book of rules for Belgium
> specifies as to who may use what name.

I was referring to German interpretations of French law.
Theoretically it could have happened to us even if we had been married
outside Germany, though in practice we could have been a little better
off because the Standesbeamte probably wouldn't have looked the case
up in his Big Book.

> So far as I know, they look at us as a married American couple, and
> may perhaps apply some particular view as to how they think that
> Americans normally handle the name issue.

Precisely.  In Germany it was no different: they applied some
particular view as to how they think that French law handles the name
issue.  Even declarations from the French consulate wouldn't shake
their conviction.

>> Again, this is possibly more the case in Bruxelles than in France.
>> The worst thing you can do is speak Flemish to them.
>
> 	To those that speak both French and English, that is generally
> true.  To those that speak both French and Flemish but not English,
> that is obviously false.  The problem is, you don't know, a priori,
> what other languages the person may speak, and you don't know if
> trying either English or Flemish as the second alternative is going
> to offend them.

That seems to depend on your accent.  Speak Flemish to a Walloon with
a French accent, and you could be in trouble.  I've seen it happen,
and the one doing the complaining was a policeman.

>> In France, I've frequently spoken to people in French and been
>> answered in English.
>
> 	I've only visited more tourist-friendly areas in France, but the
> areas of France that I have been to I have encountered fewer language
> problems than in some areas of Belgium (where I've been to more
> off-the-beaten-track areas).

My observation is that the French off the beaten track are much
friendlier than those in tourist areas.

Greg