Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 20:13:30 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (hopefully) easy NFS question

"David E. Cross" wrote:
> A tcpdump on the client shows seemingly normal request/reponses from the
> server and _lots_ of NFS Null requests from client-->server.  I am guessing
> this is the client trying to see if the server is back?  This is on the order
> of many times a second:

Null requests are used for two reasons; the first is to determine
if the RPC server is there; the second is as part of the support
for asynchronous calls (see the RPC Programming Guide for details).

> Ethernet card in question is a 3c950C in the server and a FXP 100B in the
> client (client is also 4.6.2).  I tested another machine with a 3c950C and
> the same client with no errors.  I would say hardware but this is too
> predictable with no dataloss, and this is seemingly initiated on the client.
>
> Any ideas on where to look?

You haven't said why this is actually a problem, at all.

If it just did this recently, though, I would look for what
has changed on the client.

-- Terry