Date:      Sat, 21 May 2005 23:27:07 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual monitors - right one doesn't work right away

--On Friday, May 20, 2005 10:27 PM -0700 pete wright <nomadlogic@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 5/20/05, Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu> wrote:
>> I just installed 5.4 RELEASE, cvsup'd the ports and portupgraded
>> everything to current.  I'm using one ATI Radeon X300 card and two
>> monitors with Xinerama.  When I first login, only the left screen
>> displays its half of the desktop.  (I'm using gdm and gnome, but xdm
>> with twm does the exact same thing.)
>>
>> After a while (30 minutes or more) the right monitor will begin
>> displaying its half of the desktop.
>>
>> I've been hunting through the logs and googling trying to figure out what
>> the cause is, but so far I'm stumped.
>>
>> This is a copy of the most recent display log (but they all look about
>> the same.)
>>

> I'd post a copy of your xorg.conf file.  The info bellow states that
> it can not detect the monitor, but with out the config we can't tell
> if it's a problem with your setup or a hardware issue.

I've already posted a copy of my xorg.conf file.

I've since discovered that the display works fine if I login using a
standard user account.  The problem with the right monitor only occurs if I
login as root.  (I've been logging in as root while setting up the box.)

When logged in as root, the screensaver daemon won't start unless  I first
type "xhost +localhost", and as soon as I try to start the screensaver, the
right monitor display "turns on".  The screen lock doesn't work either.
(All of this works fine if I'm logged in as a user.)

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member