Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 1999 07:38:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      will andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   *_DEPENDS (Was Re: audio/gogo depends on nasm _0.98_ (!))

On 07-Dec-99 Alexander Langer wrote:
> Yes, it was installed, but as version 0.97. But audio/gogo needs 0.98
> to build, so the build falied.
>
> After I installed nasm 0.98 from the ports audio/gogo build fine.
>
> I wonder if there is the possibility to extend a port to depend on a
> specific version, that becomes installed if it's not installed.
>
> The ports-system supports installation of dependencies, so why don't
> let it depend on nasm 0.98 and install that?

This is something I've given some thought to - i.e., the LIB_DEPENDS,
BUILD_DEPENDS, RUN_DEPENDS.

It's an issue that makes some ports difficult to ensure successful building.
One way we can modify the *_DEPENDS is to keep a database of possible
libraries, binaries, build dependencies, etc. for each port that is depended on
and change the format of *_DEPENDS to force people to use a certain version of
a library (for example), or in this case, a build dependency.

I believe the NetBSD project already has something like this. Although I only
got a glance..

The difficult problem with this is the fact that some 2,800 ports would need
changing to adapt to new *_DEPENDS.

Therefore, a different approach might be taken instead (and we would only need
to modify programs that can't depend on, say, the immediate last 2 or 3 versions
of a dependency).

Another alternative to adding another knob to bsd.port.mk would be to have a
sort of "map" that maps a port to its dependencies by version.

*sigh*

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>