Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 01:48:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        Jay Tribick <netadmin@fastnet.co.uk>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw rules to allow DNS activity

	No no no... What I mean is:

[takes out the bible: TCP/IP Illustrated and opens it on page 206]

	DNS uses UDP for resolver queries (most of the time).
	DNS used TCP for zone transfers (always).

	If you don't want to allow zone transfer from that computer, don't
worry about allowing TCP as long as your DNS response will never exceed
512 bytes.
	(yes I know one can also use xfrnets to stop unauthorized zone
transfers but this is ipfw talk *grin*)

-- Yan

Jan Koum                  jkb@best.com |  "Turn up the lights; I don't want
www.FreeBSD.org --  The Power to Serve |   to go home in the dark."
"Write longer sentences - they are paying us a lot of money"