Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2018 12:56:18 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        ralph@riseup.net
Cc:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 11.2-RELEASE - drm-stable/next - radeonkms - VGA out not working properly

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 12:24 PM ralph <ralph@riseup.net> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> My current setup is an Asus notebook with an AMD C-70 APU/Radeon HD 7290
> running 11.2-RELEASE with the stock kernel, connected to an external
> crt monitor (VGA-1). EFI boot is enabled and hw.syscons.disable is set.
>
> When I boot with drm-next-kmod or drm-stable-kmod loaded (the results
> are the same for both), both screens work properly in the tty,
> though the system console constantly complains about missing/invalid
> EDID from the crt monitor. Starting X makes the crt monitor go blank
> with a box on the OSD complaining about unsupported frequencies.
> [...]
>

> --
>
> ralph

This is a quick thought without studying anything... just reading the text.

First, you say that you are EFI booting. This is contraindicated for
amdgpu. (See below.)

Then you say that you boot with drm-*-kmod loaded. How are you loading it?
It should not be loaded at boot, but from rc.conf.

pkg-message file in the port:
The experimental drm-next-kmod port can be enabled for amdgpu (for AMD
GPUs starting with the HD7000 series / Tahiti) or i915kms (for Intel
APUs starting with HD3000 / Sandy Bridge) through kld_list in
/etc/rc.conf. radeonkms for older AMD GPUs can be loaded and there are
some positive reports if EFI boot is NOT enabled (similar to amdgpu).

For amdgpu: kld_list="amdgpu"
For Intel: kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"
For radeonkms: kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"

Please ensure that all users requiring graphics are members of the
"video" group.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com