Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2018 21:15:46 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Virus that targets *.nix

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 19:43:56 +0100, Polytropon wrote:
>Always use "curl myapp.example.com | sudo bash" to install
>the software you trust! Apply snake oil as desired. ;-)

For those interested to compromise Linux installs, targeting Ubuntu
flavours might be the easiest way to go.

I seriously doubt that a lot of Ubuntu users do check downloaded
install media correctly against the gpg signed sha256sum provided by
Ubuntu.

Usually they don't know how to get the public key and how to verify the
checksum against the public key, in the first place.

Providing compromised Ubuntu flavour install media is easier to do, than
using common vulnerabilities to get access to a handful of well
maintained Linux or *BSD installs.

When using common vulnerabilities, the best approach is to get access to
the bad maintained routers using an embedded Linux.

I guess that criminals are criminals, because they will get as much
income for as less work as possible.

However, if criminals have got a special interest that justifies to do
much hard work, they likely will use more complicated hacks, than a
noticeable bash script or they don't hack anything at all and instead
use a screw driver...

...or else...

real criminal experts provide Internet search engines and free
Internet services, to legally get what they want.

Other criminals hack those providers of Internet search engines and free
Internet services. Isn't it interesting that after hackers have stolen
data from providers of Internet search engines and free
Internet services that many people are afraid, while the same people
aren't afraid that those providers of Internet search engines and free
Internet services already misused this data before it was stolen?

Alexa, send this email!