Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:04:24 +0000
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: many questions with bktr(4) and pcm(4)

Jason,

> > > pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x109e, dev=0x0878) at 20.1 irq 10
> >
> > This is the audio capture part of the Bt878 chip.
> > It is unused. I really should supress this messag
> > as it is nothing to worry about.
>
> Er, wouldn't that be useful for capturing movies with the BT8x8?
> Right now I'm able to capture the video just fine, but the audio
> is always problematic.  Using the built in facility on the chip
> seems like a very elegant solution, of course I don't actually
> have the expertise to do this...

Well it is sort of usefull.
The typical setup is to use a short cable from the TV tuner
card to your sound card, and to sample the audio there.
Which is that we do in the FXTV application and how
99.9% of TV cards work.

Just as there are problems with the 'normal audio' on TV
cards, there is more than one way to wire up the Bt878's
audio capture input and I've no idea which cards
actually wire audio from the tuner or MSP34xx chips
to the Bt878 audio capture hardware.

The audio capture is only mono, but it does sample at
sample rates of something like 150 kHz. The idea being
that it can sample RDS (radio data) or digitally encoded
stereo and then decode that.

If someone wants to write support for the audio capture,
I'll happily include it, but I don't think I'll ever write
support for it unless someone paid me, as the typical
setup is to sample with your sound card.

Hope this explains it all ok.

Roger