Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 1995 19:51:25 GMT
From:      "Paul F. Werkowski" <pw@snoopy.MV.COM>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Soundcard discussion

>>>>> "knight" == knight  <knight@zko.dec.com> writes:

    knight> With the considerable discussion about soundcard support
    knight> over the last couple of days, I decided to try the sound
    knight> support for my MV PAS-16 card under 2.0R.

    knight> I found, as has been stated by various folks, that the
    knight> card could not be used without running the MV mvsound.sys
    knight> driver to initialize the card from MS-DOS before
    knight> attempting to boot FreeBSD.

    knight> Has anyone gotten the card to initialize from FreeBSD? If
    knight> so, how? The need to boot MS-DOS before booting FreeBSD
    knight> seems, to be polite, somewhat less than useful.

	I have been  using PAS16 on 3 different FreeBSD configurations
	for over a year with no problems except that warm reboots leaves
	the card in a sluggish state. I have not had to resort to initializing
	the card via MSDOS!!!!

	Tonight I attempted to configure a 2.0R kernel using the same
	options that worked fine under 1.1.5.1 (excluding all BUT pas)
	and discovered that I can find no combination of config incantations
	that produce a /sys/compile/XXX/pas.h file showing NPAS>0.

	Did something break in the config program? Where is the referenced
	'sound.doc'? Is anyone on this list actually running a soundcard
	under 2.0R?

	Paul