Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 01:50:48 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Delayed security advisories

On 24 Mar 2001, at 1:39, Kris Kennaway boldly uttered:

> On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 12:25:06AM -0800, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> > See message snippet included below.
> >
> > Can someone tell me why there are security advisories coming out now
> > for security vulnerabilities known to have been corrected 3 months
> > ago?
>
> In this instance, we were trying to coordinate with CERT who wanted
> vendors to hold off immediately releasing since it affects most UNIX
> systems.  After 2 1/2 months we hadn't heard anything more about it
> (and I had kind of lost track of it in the meantime due to other more
> pressing issues).  I pinged CERT again, they asked us to delay another
> week while they got back to it, 1 1/2 weeks later we still had heard
> nothing so we just released it.
>
> Hope this clarifies the issue.
>
> Kris

It does indeed - thanks for the info.

I have to admit sometimes I wonder whether CERT is more of a
hindrance than a help.  Well at least they aren't unwittingly
distributing viruses and causing DoS attacks from code distributed on
their mailing list like Bugtraq. :-)

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium