Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:27:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: (FWD) cvs commit: src/sys/alpha/alpha trap.c vm_machdep.c sr

On 27-Jan-2003 Julian Elischer wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, David O'Brien wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 04:05:31PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
>> >
>> > or simply check out the newer sources.
>>
>> Looking at the commit you made, it doesn't seem to address the other
>> issues of the commit this thread is trying to avoid.
>>
>> I guess you're not going to honor mine and others request for a full
>> backout of the commit pending farther review and testing?
>

> firstly, I have seen no requests for backout (and even if I had, it
> wouldn't concern me because it wasn't my commit in the first place), and
> secondly, I have seen no tinderbox failures (becasue I don't seem to be
> getting the mails these days) so my commit was purely from code
> inspection. I have seen no firsthand complaints of problems and have
> only responded to look for problems because I heard via robert that
> there were rumours of failures on secontary architecures.
>
> If anyone has a real problem they might make it easier by emailing me
> with them so I have a clue what is going on.
>
> As for the testing, the code in question is 99.5% in KSE specific code
> and THAT has been tested pretty thoroughly. A backout is David's
> decision but My personal thought is that it would be a retrograde move.
>
> What we need is to see the problems. I haven't seen a single firsthand
> report of any problem yet. I think the mail system at FreeBSD.org
> may have had a flaky morning..
> How about sending me a mail saying what the problem is and then we might
> be making some forward progress..

What we need is for people making commits to the kernel to test
them.  If your e-mail doesn't work, then don't commit code. I
realize you didn't commit this patch, but your mentee did.  As a
mentor you are responsible for what he commits and you are
supposed to make sure the code is tested, etc.  KSE is not some
poky little device driver, so you need to do more testing with
the KSE work than you do when working on other things in the
kernel.