Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:34:23 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Rasmus Skaarup <mfbsd@skaarup.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GEOM code ready for testing

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 11:58:02 +0100, Rasmus Skaarup wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> > >Would GEOM support accessing a device via multiple paths? (ie could we
> > >write a method that would do that?)
> >
> > Yes, that would be possible.
>
> Have you given any thought to how that might be implemented? If somekind
> of ID is required to identify the same disk via multiple paths, in which
> part of GEOM will this be implemented?
>
> I can't figure out from your documentation whether you have somekind of
> "Master GEOM" instance that initiates the device recognition, or otherwise
> how is this initiated?

FWIW, Justin and I have been thinking about (for years, actually) doing
multipath support inside CAM.

We would figure out that a device is unique via a serial number or WWN.
There would probably also be a manual identification method that would
allow the user to specify that a given device can be accessed via multiple
routes.

That would be useful for devices without a unique serial number.

For disks, probably the best thing to do is to have some sort of label on
the disk and use that to determine which disks are the same.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org