Date:      Thu, 13 Oct 2016 01:20:29 -0400
From:      Peter Beckman <beckman@angryox.com>
To:        reko.turja@liukuma.net
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Alternatives to rsync

1. rsync IS open source: https://rsync.samba.org/
     "rsync is an open source utility"

2. Why is GPL3 out of the question? Is the user going to resell the device
    as a service? If the user is simply "using" the software, no disclosure
    of other software is necessary. Only if your user is attempting to "make
    money" from the sale of the software or service powered by rsync does
    the source need to be disclosed.

If the user simply wants to use rsync for their own purposes, GPL3 does not
prevent them from doing so nor does it require that the user disclose all
code written.

If the user IS going to make money off of using rsync, you are correct.

Beckman