Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:31:32 +0100
From:      Miklos Niedermayer <mico@vnet.hu>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID alternatives

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 04:15:06PM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

>  - Hardware RAID (more expensive, but less hassle and possibly higher
>    performance).  The problem here is that IDE RAID controllers don't
>    seem to support RAID 4 or 5; they only support RAID 0, which is
>    pointless on its own; RAID 1, which is horribly wasteful; and JBOD,

Actually, those cheap IDE "RAID controllers" without RAID4/5 aren't RAID
controllers.  Mirroring is done by the operating system (you can check
this, install the OS on a mirror, then type iostat 2 - the OS will be
handling the disks separately).  Avoid using these.

Real IDE RAID controllers cost almost as much as the SCSI ones.  I've only
met the Adaptec 2400, it runs fine...

bye
mico

--