Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 04:21:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt of the Long Red Hair <mattp@conundrum.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   vmware and disk devices

Thanks to everyone's notes on getting vmware up and running, I'm far closer to
getting this going than I would have on my own.  I'm having some problems
however with accessing my disks.  This seems to be the last thing I have to
deal with.

Unfortunately, I don't have an already-configured guest OS that I can run
with, so I really need a functioning virtual machine that I can install an OS
into.  Right now, I don't seem to be able to get vmware to talk to my cdrom or
my floppy drive.  During power-on of the virtual machine I get these errors:

"CDROM: Unable to open '/dev/cd0c': Device not configured"
"Device scsi0:0 will start disconnected."
"Device floppy0 will start disconnected."
"Device RTC will start disconnected."

If I try to connect any of the above once the virtual machine is running, I
get variations on the same errors.  '/usr/local/etc/rc.d/rtc.sh start' has
been run, and if I try to run it again I get an error that the module is
already loaded.

Here's what I've got:

set up for win98
SCSI 0:0 set up for device-type CD-ROM, name "/dev/cd0c" (I've also tried
cd0a)
first floppy device type "Device", path "/dev/fd0.1440" (I've also tried fd0,
fd0a, fd0c)

The floppy problem I think may be related to my kernel -- I just upgraded to
4.3-BETA, and with the floppy device move away from the fdc0 and fd0 devices
toward ata and atapifd I'm not sure I've got things set up properly.

The CD I'm baffled by though.  Here's my dmesg output for it:

cd0 at sym0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
cd0: <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6201TA 1030> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 16)

Anyone have any ideas?
   Matt Pounsett