Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 00:16:29 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        eT <eT@post.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: One bit error on BUS?

> What could the possible explanation be in the following scenario:

There are dozens of possible explanations.

> We have:
>
> arbitrary chip <---localbus---> pci controller <===pcibus===>
> BX Motherboard <------> RAM
>
> And somewhere in the transfer of blocks of data between the chip (on the
> left) and the RAM on the right we have random one bit errors.  we means
> that for huge streams of transfer all might be ok and at random
> intervals exactely one bit will be set incorrectly (not always the same
> bit in the byte).
>
> We have a 440BX motherboard with a PII400.
>
> Is it a timing problem on data transfer on the local bus or pci bus?

It could be.

Seriously; the question you ask is impossible to answer without access
to the hardware itself and a lot of expensive test equipment.  However,
given that the motherboard probably works, and your custom hardware
probably hasn't had the same sort of testing, it's probably safe to
suspect your side of things.