Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 16:23:47 -0700
From:      Umesh Vaishampayan <umeshv@apple.com>
To:        Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>
Cc:        Aaron <click46@webpimps.net>, freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Darwin and FreeBSD on PPC

On Friday, September 28, 2001, at 02:32  PM, Garrett Rooney wrote:

> (for example their /dev/random is a port of the
> FreeBSD /dev/random)

Not really. There was a patch that did a port. But the code that is
checked is based on the Security Server we had in 10.0.

> but their kernel is derived from NextStep,

Well...

At NeXT we had Mach 2.x+4.3BSD+DriverKit.
In Darwin Mach 2.X is replaced by Mach 3.x
4.3BSD ia replaced by 4.4BSD Lites2 + FreeBSD 3.X networking
DriverKit is replaced by IOKit.

--Umesh
--
Umesh Vaishampayan	Apple Computer, Inc.