Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 96 21:06:48 EDT
From:      Red Barchetta <paradox@pegasus.rutgers.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   user ppp question

Hello-

I asked a few days ago if anyone knew what could cause errors of the form

ifindex: not found
open_tun: no such file or directory

when user ppp is started.  Actually, ppp terminates right there, i.e. I dont
get the ppp on hostname> prompt.  Well, I wasn't able to solve the problem
with the few answers I received, so I'm asking again if anyone knows what
could cause this.

My modem is on COM2 (/dev/cuaa1), but I have created tun0 in the /dev
directory using MAKEDEV because I have found no indication that it should be
tun1.  Does the number of the tunnel device need to correspond to that of the
com port?

Also, should tun0 be set up in /etc/sysconfig?  I get the same error messages
whther or not it is.  If I remember right, for the few days that I ran
2.1.0R, I didn't have tun0 set up but user ppp worked just fine (at least I
got a ppp on hostname> prompt).

I am currently running 2.1.5R on a 100 MHz Pentium with a Hayes Accura 14.4
external modem.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Ernie Pistor