Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2011 08:30:17 +0100
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ZFS - abysmal performance with samba since upgrade to  8.2-RELEASE

Hello list,

I've recently upgraded my home box from 8.2-PRE to 8.2-RELEASE and since
then I've been experiencing *abysmal* performance with samba.

We're talking transfer rates of say 50kbytes/s here, and I'm the only
client on the box.

I've seen here and there discussions about sendfile's support, and how
it is recommended to disable it in samba.

Now, the man tells us:
Default: use sendfile = false

On the other side, FTP and SFTP transfers are OK, at 20mbytes/s or so.

Find below a bit of info

smb.conf
---

[global]
   workgroup = MYGROUP
   server string = Samba Server
   security = user
   hosts allow = 192.168.0.1 192.168.1.1 fe80::1
   load printers = no
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
# You may want to add the following on a Linux system:
   socket options = SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
   dns proxy = no
   bind interfaces only = yes
   interfaces = re0 lagg0
   hide unreadable = yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

loader.conf
---

# Tune ZFS somewhat aye ?
vm.kmem_size="3072M"
vm.kmem_size_max="3072M"
vfs.zfs.arc_min="128M"
vfs.zfs.arc_max="2048M"
vfs.zfs.txg.synctime="1"
vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="0"
vfs.zfs.vdev.min_pending="4"
vfs.zfs.vdev.max_pending="8"

ZFS pool
---

nas# zpool status
  pool: rtank
 state: ONLINE
status: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format.  The pool can
        still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'.  Once this is done, the
        pool will no longer be accessible on older software versions.
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME              STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rtank             ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2          ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/zfs-ada0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/zfs-ada1  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/zfs-ada2  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/zfs-ada3  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/zfs-ad14  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/zfs-ad10  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/zfs-ad11  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/zfs-ad12  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/zfs-ad13  ONLINE       0     0     0

zpool version 14
zfs version 3

So mmmm, sendfile disabled, ZFS pool not quite updated, good FTP/ssh
performance, horribad samba performance.

Does anyone have an idea of stuff I should be looking at ?

Again, this has only begun since I've upgraded from 8.2-PRE/RC3 to
8.2-RELEASE.