Date:      Fri, 06 Jul 2001 12:16:47 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Don@Silver-Lynx.com
Cc:        chrisc@vmunix.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

From: Don Wilde <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 11:28:57 -0600

> Given the lack of response from either WR or BSDCentral to my complaint
> about the FreeBSD Desktop I just received, I think it is critical that
> we establish an independent CD channel outside of WR's control. I have

I don't think that anyone's debating that point at all.  I would like
to have _multiple_ channels of CDROM distribution, however, including
companies in different countries and perhaps with different types of
media (like DVD) or product objectives, like a desktop or server
edition.  As we learned with ftp.freesoftware.com, having a single
point of failure leaves you swinging in the wind when unforseen
circumstances pop up and just as we reacted to the FTP server going
down by going to a multi-tiered, more fault tolerant model, so should
we encourage multiple vendors.  The days of giving people preferential
treatment probably ended with Walnut Creek CDROM, we just hadn't
really faced the fact until this happened.

- Jordan