Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:59:30 -0500
From:      Coleman Kane <zombyfork@gmail.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-STABLE/amd64 DWL-650 ath & ath_hal compile error

The amd64 hal module doesn't exist in 5-stable. I happen to have a
Gateway 7422GX, and am running the latest -CURRENT prefectly fine. The
ath and ath_hal in -CURRENT are newer versions that sam
<sam@freebsd.org> recently imported. The wlan framework in -CURRENT
has also gone through a number of changes (namely to support WPA, et.
al.), and so a simple back-copy of the driver won't work without some
huge effort.

Anyhow, sam has comitted my patch to get the ath_hal to build for
amd64, since it works on this laptop (very well I might add). Pull
down -current and work from there, that's my advice. It seems more
stable and feature-full than 5-stable anyhow for this platform. Keep
an eye on freebsd-amd64 to be aware of -current breakage later on.

NDIS wrapper doesn't work yet on amd64. The broadcom chip bites
anyhow. I've got an
SMC 2536W-AG EliteConnect which supports the a,b,g modes as well as
something called 'turbo' mode.

--
coleman kane