Date:      Sat, 1 May 1999 12:56:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Lowe <dlowe@pootpoot.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   adduser, rmuser, and perl...

Hacker folks -

I found myself hacking up adduser the other day, and I had some thoughts.

First, since FreeBSD has finally caught ships with perl5, adduser (and
other perl shipped with FreeBSD) could be rewritten to take advantage of
the many improvements of perl5 over perl4.  Most of this would be cosmetic
& 'perl-anal' stuff like lexically scoping variables, 'use strict' and
'/usr/bin/perl -w' (roughly equivalent to gcc -Wall) and using the
object-oriented IO subsystem.  Basically, switching from
perl-as-scripting-language to perl-as-programming-language.

Second, I thought it would be nice to provide for easy added functionality
on a per-site basis, without having to edit the main adduser script.
Something like: 'local-stuff = "/usr/local/bin/adduser-extra"' in
/etc/adduser.conf, where the script $local-stuff would be called with all
of the new user's data as arguments.

Those are my thoughts.  My questions, then, are: is anyone currently
working on adduser?  I searched the list archives and turned up nothing
since August '97.  Anyone?  And would these changes be welcome?  I have
some spare cycles right now I could apply to this, but is this a case best
left untouched - "If it works, don't fix it" or are changes/improvements
welcome?

Finally, are there any perl people working on FreeBSD in general?  I mean,
there are a number of perl programs in the core distribution, but they're
all looking very perl4ish to me.  Again, perhaps I could apply some of
those spare cycles here.

: : : J. David Lowe :: dlowe@pootpoot.com :: http://pootpoot.com : : :
:   "The secret to happiness is short-term, stupid self-interest!"   :
:                                - Calvin, /Calvin and Hobbes/       :
 :: fingerprint: 1F E7 D3 24 04 18 72 67   CC E6 66 1B 79 79 CB 3A ::